A Brief Description and History of The School
The school was built in 1913 and since that time has been the only school in Silkstone Common. With the closure of Hood Green School, children from the neighbouring villages of Hood Green and Stainborough also attend our school.
In 2004 a new extension was added giving an extra classroom. In 2010 further building work took place giving a purpose built Reception/Year 1 classroom, a new hall and kitchen. We were careful to ensure that the extensions blended in with the original building so frontage of the school retains a cohesive appearance, whilst inside the rooms are bright, airy with plenty of space and modern facilities. At the same time we improved our playing field by levelling it, improving the drainage and reseeding it so it is now a good playing surface. We have also improved the other outside play facilities with improved playground markings, outdoor play equipment and a climbing wall.
The school has always been close to the community it serves and inspires a good deal of affection. Within the local community there are many that attended the school up to eighty years ago.
We maintain a friendly and family oriented approach which results in a positive atmosphere which has been favourably commented on in our last Ofsted report.
The school is dedicated to the development of the whole child. To do that, we work in partnership with the children, their families, and the local and wider community.